DSL service [was Re:TLUG Mail list archives?]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 8 06:00:36 UTC 2007

| From:  <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org>

| I've been using Pathcom as an ISP, but their DSL access has slowed to a
| crawl and they seem to be incapable of doing anything substantive to fix
| the situation. (They have, however, wished me a nice day on every one of
| my dozen phone calls to them.)

The "last mile" of all DSL providers is the same: Bell Nexia.

Do you know if the bottleneck is within Bell's network or Pathcom's?
If it is within Bell's then you need to switch to Rogers :-(

For example, my DSL connection is bad.  The problem appears to be that
my wire to the Central Office is 5km, about the limit.

It is pretty hard to figure out where the problem is: nobody knows or
if they do they don't want to tell you.

Usually you can ask your DSL modem about line quality and bandwidth
limitations.  I don't know enough to know how to interpret them.