OT: Disposing Old Computer Parts

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 6 21:20:25 UTC 2007

I use the hammer approach.
But I intially didn't wear eye protection
and was fortunate to get hit hard in the cheek first to
wake me up to that fact. (by flying pieces of disk).
I actually put the disks in a cloth sack and wail on them with a
heavy framing hammer, and forgo the eye protection.
This did the trick!

I am thinking for those who are in an apartment or don't have a heavy
hammer ...
what cheap chemical would wreck a disk?
pool acid? or maybe something that would oxidize it quick?

I am thinking there should be a product,
something with a plastic bin, and a chemical,
and you put the disk in , add chemical, shake,
and 10 minutes later, a unrecoverable hard drive!!
Preferably with a "green chemical".

-tl