OT: Disposing Old Computer Parts

Sheldon Mustard smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 6 16:11:20 UTC 2007

On 6/6/07, Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I had similar questions since I'm moving soon,  so I'm really glad
> this was asked.  One other question I had
> is how to really wipe the hard-drive so it couldn't be recovered.  I
> don't like the idea of personal info on a disposed computer eventually
> falling into the wrong hands.  I've heard of something called blaster.
> I don't know if that's the best choice.
>
> Alex

I normally do this a bunch of times, works pretty well on most *nix
platforms excluding very old ones that don't have /dev/zero.  Note you
can do it by partition as well and play with the blocksize if you so
desire which obviously effects the run time.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024

SJM

--
Sheldon Mustard
smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
"There will be no order, only chaos." - Pi (1998)