OT: Disposing Old Computer Parts

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 6 14:04:52 UTC 2007

--- Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello All,
> What's the standard way to dispose of old computer
> parts in the GTA? I have
> some old cases and motherboards to get rid off. Can
> I leave them curbside?

Before getting rid of them to the likes of a landfill
let me note some other possible options.

I (and I know at least one other member of this list)
have been involved in projects that take old PCs, fix
them up and then pass them on to charities and
individuals that would otherwise  be unable to afford
computers.

There are a few members of this list (who I will not
name :-) ), whose home PCs are surprisingly old,
though I not sure in some cases if that is due to a
lack of cash or a perverse pride in how old a machine
you can use to run a current Linux...

There are groups in the GTA that specialize in finding
ways to keep stuff out of landfills, for example:

    groups.yahoo.com/group/FreecycleTO/

My suggestion would be to e-mail a note describing
what you want to get rid of to the mailing list.
Assuming the equipment in question isn't ancient
chances are good someone here will be willing to come
and pick it up from you. Alternatively, at least for
some of the smaller items, bring them to a TLUG or
NewTLUG meeting and you will likely be able to find
some folks happy to take the parts away (I've done
this and it has worked well...).

Colin McGregor