Free'd GPS?

Interlug Lists interluglists-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 3 16:55:17 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm heading off on a long road trip this summer (a couple of weeks) and
> it looks like we'll be buying a gps unit.  i was wondering if anyone out
> there knows of a gps that runs on some kind of free software, or at
> least one that interfaces with linux-based computers.  I haven't really
> done much research, and this is a new field to me, so i'm hoping you
> folks can help me out...
>
>  thanks,
> matt

Hi Matt,

  Hope you have a great trip.

  Your choice of GPS unit will largely depend on what you want from it
as far as "free software" compatibility.  I'm guessing you want a
dash-mount or handheld device with a moving map display and navigation
on the order of "tell me when to turn".

  OpenStreetMap is a free software project that has looked at GPS unit
compatibility. Have a look at their reviews of GPS devices here.
These are favoured because they can be used to collect data for the
OpenStreetMap project.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/GPS_Reviews

  They also point out a few units that go the "other way" and allow
the user to include OpenStreetMap data in the map used in the handheld
unit.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Garmin

  openTom is a project to play with the Linux-based versions of the
TomTom GPS system.

http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page

  For your laptop, Scott already mentioned GPSDrive.  Other moving map
GPS software in various states of readiness are :

http://navit.sourceforge.net/
http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/
http://roadsterproject.wordpress.com/