public DNS servers?

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 30 17:14:04 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 10:00:36AM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> >Answers could be:
> > - No, I just want an alternative DNS server to the one my ISP /
> >hosting provider offers; I don't need to add my own hosts to it...
>
> Correct.

If that's the case, why don't you just run a local one?  I suppose it
depends on your use-case, but I'm running djbdns on my local machines
and it has helped me occasionally when the ISP's DNS servers crap out.
 Perhaps this solution is overkill, and the gurus on this list might
be able to give reasons why it's a bad idea, but it seems to work fine
for me.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com