SGI and NASA ready most powerful Linux computer ever

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 29 22:12:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Robin Humble wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 04:18:47PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7317694195.html
>
> that's a lot of boot penguins :-)
>
> BTW, we partition our 1680cpu altix into one kernel per 32 or 64cpus
> otherwise any hardware or software glitch would take down the whole
> machine. so NASA are being very brave.

The thing that got me was scalability.  Sure a lot of work has gone in to
improving fine grain locking, etc, but I have significant concerns about
lost efficiency running so many cores under a single kernel.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"