[OT] Copyright Board of Canada gives thumbs-up to "iPod tax"

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 26 16:55:28 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Even the CD tax is a bit silly.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I disagree.  The private
copying levy is insane.  Not only that, but it doesn't work very good.

Case in point: "Canadians Overpay Millions on Private Copying Levy"
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1946/

"The CPCC has expressed disappointment at this result and indicated
that it will develop a plan to reimburse importers and manufacturers
for the higher levies that were collected from 2005 - 2007.  Of
course, assuming that the price of the levy was passed along to
consumers, it is not the importers and manufacturers that should
receive the reimbursement - it is Canadian consumers.  The Board
absolves itself of this issue by stating that 'it is not for us to
determine who, in the supply chain leading to the final consumer, will
be the ultimate beneficiary of these refunds.'"

--
Scott Elcomb  [ http://www.psema4.com/ ]

"Our Founders' faith in the viability of representative democracy
rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry,
their ingenious design for checks and balances, and their belief that
the rule of reason is the natural sovereign of a free people." - Al
Gore (The Assault on Reason, 2008)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."  - Mark Twain