$200 Linux Laptop

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 26 12:50:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 23:26 -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> From Slashdot this evening, in the 'If it sounds too good to be true...'
> dept:
> Update 2035 GMT by SM: As many readers have pointed out, the more you dig
> into the details of this company the more fishy it starts to seem. I would
> suggest any potential buyers be wary on this one.

Asus is well known for providing durable motherboards and has expanded
into many areas. We've used their products as far back as the mid '90s.
They started producing notebook computers a few years ago.

My comment about the hothardware article is that I don't think it will
compete with the OLPC. It's doesn't claim to support the many attributes
that seem very important to the OLPC project: durability, resistance to
harsh elements, alternative power, low power consumption, sunlight
readable screen, etc.

Now when I first heard Negroponte talk about the OLPC I liked his
statements about the "fat" that has accumulated on PCs and notebooks
today and how they are vestigial components that can disappear without
most people really caring. In fact his idea about dropping the CapsLock
key sounds like it would be an improvement for most people.

What I do see here is an echo of that Negroponte speech. I like the idea
of low cost notebooks and I would consider putting on in the hands of my
Mother. It would need a hard disk though.
--
Register for the Ontario Linux Fest Conference today!
A Linux Conference for users by users.

CTO, co-CEO
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12
   Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6