$200 Linux Laptop

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 25 18:42:08 UTC 2007

On 7/25/07, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> ASUS:
> http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Hands%5Fon%5Fwith%5Fthe%5FASUS%5FEee/
> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLJJw6WRqM
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeLJltAHRE
>
> The Kitchener Waterloo LUG is wooing ASUS to get a loaner laptop to
> present on it, or to get a rep to drop by.  No luck yet.  Do we have
> any contacts with ASUS to try the same?

ASUS is a Taiwanese company; it would be very interesting to hear if
someone had any sort of contacts with them.

This is a mighty interesting device, BTW.  I'm a *little* bit
surprised that they don't have a followup device that changes the
specs by dropping display, keyboard, and and battery.  That gives you
something *better than* the DECtop box mentioned not too long ago, but
which likely drops out ~$100 worth of hardware.

And gives you something you could velcro to the back of an LCD monitor.

    * Processor: Intel mobile CPU (Intel 910 chipset, 900MHz Dothan Pentium M)
    * Memory: 512MB RAM
    * OS: Linux (Asus customized flavor)
    * Storage: 8GB or 16GB flash hard drive
    * Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
    * Ports: 3 USB ports, 1 VGA out, SD card reader, modem, Ethernet,
headphone out, microphone in

> Also, there's this one:
> Medison Celebrity       $ 163.21 CAD
> http://www.medisoncelebrity.com/product.html

That one seems unbelievable.  Did they get a shipment of machines for
free, or something?  That's fairly much a "full featured" laptop, not
making any of the design compromises involved with the ASUS Eee (e.g.
- screen size, disk space)
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)