Consulting work in the US; tips?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 25 18:11:00 UTC 2007

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Applying and getting a TN is not difficult provided you have good
> documentation. I have had at least six of them and the only time I
> was refused entry was the first time and that was only because I was
> not prepared with a backup plan. Since that first time, I have always
> been able to obtain one on the spot with no more than 90 minutes
> spent at the airport. The cost is, or was last time I got one if I
> recall correctly, US$50.
>
> Getting a B-1 is even easier because you do not have to provide
> evidence of education or expertise related to the field of endeavour.
> All you have to do is to establish that you are providing support or
> training for a Canadian made system sold to an American client. There
> is no cost for a B-1.

This is exactly why I asked here on the list. With the information
everyone has shared I am now much more comfortable with what I need to
do. The client in the US is preparing the documentation I will need for
a TN Visa which I will take to the US consulate.

I have not considered anything other that an above-board route. First of
all, I am a terribly transparent liar and would be caught and second, my
mom lives down there. I would not risk being barred for any reason. If
she ever was hurt or fell ill I would be very upset with myself if I had
gotten myself barred over a bit of money.

Thanks again to everyone, you are all wonderful helps!

Madi