Consulting work in the US; tips?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 18:33:43 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 06:09, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On 24-Jul-07, at 5:54 AM, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> > 4. Be truthful in your answers. The consequences for being caught
> > lying can be quite severe. (I do not speak from experience in
> > this case.) Do not listen to people who tell you "Just say you
> > are visiting friends." That is very bad advice.
> > --
> > Regards,
>
> Well, having been in pretty much the same situation. If you are
> determined to get the TN-1 then yes get all your ducks in a row and
> show up really early. They don't seem to care if you miss your
> flight.

Of course not. It is not their job to care about you missing your
flight so yes, do show up early. That is a good rule of thumb
regardless of whether you are making a visa application or not.

> Be warned that if you are flying to the west coast you will
> likely have to fly to Vancouver and then apply there (been there
> done that, you have to apply at the border where you cross, you
> can't pre- qualify here in Toronto) and candidly it's easier in
> Vancouver.

You apply for a B-1 or a TN at a port of entry to the U.S. That can be
at Pearson, at Buffalo/Niagara Falls, or wherever you may cross the
border. You chose to fly to the U.S. west coast via Canada. There was
no requirement for you to do so. You could have driven across the
border at Buffalo and taken a flight from Buffalo too in which case
you would have applied for the TN at the border in Buffalo.

> If it's really only for 3 days, getting a TN-1 is
> probably more trouble than it's worth. The TN-1 is only good for
> the one company. You need one for every company you are going to
> work for. As far as bad advice goes; after I did this I talked to
> quite a few people, and every one of them said, just tell them you
> are going for a meeting.

That advice was was worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing. That
you and some of your friends may have gotten away with lying does not
make it a good idea. You just have not been caught yet.

> This would be easier to arrange since
> presumably the company could verify your story if asked.

Oh what a tangled web we weave... Now you are relying on other people
to lie so that you do not have to be inconvenienced.

> Yes, I
> know you can be denied entry if caught lying, but it is
> considerably simpler.

There is nothing "simpler" about lying. You can choose to expend your
efforts in building up a back story to support your lie, in which
case all it takes is for someone who does not have their story
straight to cause your lie to be discovered, or, you can expend the
effort in providing the documentation to support the truth. I prefer
the latter since it is much simpler, notwithstanding the seemingly
arbitrary interpretations of the laws by immigration authorities.

When you present yourself at a U.S. border crossing and make a
declaration, you are already on American soil and are subject to
American laws. If things go sideways, you cannot say, "Oh, I changed
my mind. I will just turn around and head back to Canada." You will
be detained if the border police suspects you are not telling the
truth. At that point, the border police can search anything they
want, your personal effects, your computer, your vehicle. All it
takes is for one scrap of evidence that contradicts your story, such
as an email between you and the American employer where you collude
to deceive, for the whole house of cards to come tumbling down.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation