Consulting work in the US; tips?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 12:45:57 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Dave Cramer wrote:
>> Be warned that if you are flying to the west coast you will likely
>> have to fly to Vancouver and then apply there (been there done that,
>> you have to apply at the border where you cross, you can't pre-qualify
>> here in Toronto) and candidly it's easier in Vancouver.
> The lineups may be less in Vancouver but you most certainly can get the
> TN visa in Toronto (speaking from first-hand experience).

First, thanks to everyone for your replies!

My biggest concerns are two-fold;

1) I am self-taught. I have plenty of work experience, but no degrees to
back that up. I read on the US gov't website that work experience is
okay for a TN Visa, but how does one document this?

2) I also read that "self-employed" people are specifically excluded.
Does this mean that I, as the owner of a sole-proprietorship, am
excluded? How do they define "a business" then?

I was wondering; my mother is an American citizen and is working for the
US Military as a civilian microbiology technician. I will be traveling
to Knoxville, TN by Greyhound, working from Monday to Wednesday in
Knoxville, then traveling to Buffalo, NY to meet her. We'll then be
driving to a few places in the US where she will catch a flight back to
Patrick AFB in Florida and I will be returning the rental car to Buffalo
and catching another Greyhound back up to Toronto.

How much will this complicate/help things?

I am not interested in lying, as the risks out weigh the benefits. I
just want to know what options and angles I can use before reaching the
American officials.

Thanks again for everyones replies!

Madi