Consulting work in the US; tips?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 09:54:11 UTC 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007 21:47, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I've got an offer for three-days consulting work in the US. Has
> anyone here had recent experience travel down south for work? Any
> tips for a painless border crossing?

1. Be prepared for completely arbitrary interpretations of the (silly)
NAFTA laws pertaining to IT consultancy. For instance, programmers
are specifically excluded under NAFTA but "systems analysts",
whatever those are, are covered. Have a backup plan in case you are
refused entry. Even before 9/11, this was an area fraught with
unpredictability. It is even more so now. Having had TN visas in the
past, I speak from experience.

2. Have a written contract from your client and a mountain of
documentation to support your TN visa claim. You will need an
original copy of relevant degrees. In my specific case, I qualified
under two categories, as a systems analyst or as a management
consultant. I only discovered this after I was refused entry as a
systems analyst because the client wrote that I would be
doing "Programming and systems analysis" and the INS agent refused on
the basis that since "Programming" was capitalized and "systems
analysis" was not, I was a programmer and thus disqualified from
entry. I returned the next day with an application as a management
consultant and was granted the TN visa. Three months later, same
contract, same documentation, that time I was rejected as a
management consultant but accepted as a systems analyst. After that
experience, I was always prepared with two TN applications in case
one was refused and it was a toss up which one would be accepted.

3. You do not need a TN visa if you are going to the U.S. to service,
support, or train users on a system that your company sold. That
would be a B-1 visa. You will need to provide documentary evidence of
the sale, support contract, and other pertinent details.

4. Be truthful in your answers. The consequences for being caught
lying can be quite severe. (I do not speak from experience in this
case.) Do not listen to people who tell you "Just say you are
visiting friends." That is very bad advice.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation