Consulting work in the US; tips?

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 03:09:36 UTC 2007

| >   I've got an offer for three-days consulting work in the US. Has
| > anyone here had recent experience travel down south for work? Any tips
| > for a painless border crossing?
| >
| If you are going to do this, and obey the rules, you need a TN (Trade
| NAFTA) Visa. They are a pain, but you have a right to one, if you
| qualify. You need paperwork (job offer, contract) and cost is USD60.

This page:
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html
says that a TN visa is only for full- or part-time employment,
not self-employment. i.e. The U.S. company must hire you as
an employee.  And it must be in a certain profession e.g. "Computer
Systems Analyst" with certain educational and experience requirements.

At least, that's how I read it.

Though a "business visitor" might suit:
    http://www.nafta-sec-alena.org/DefaultSite/index_e.aspx?DetailID=167#Ap1603.D.1
which says
    "Professionals engaging in a business activity at a professional
    level in a profession set out in Appendix 1603.D.1"
which includes "computer systems analyst".

IANAL. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited.
Not exactly as illustrated. Don't try this at home.

John