semi-pro PCI snd crd for linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 23 16:14:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:08:24AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> It does look nice. However, after reading the specifications and looking
> at the pictures, I'm still not sure if it has co-ax s/pdif input. Maybe
> their so-called "s/pdif combo" somehow takes both (co-ax and optical)...

It has a digital coax connector.  It also comes with a lens adapter that
connects a standard optical connector to the coax port (there must be an
optical transmitter inside the center of the coax connector.  I have
seen them before.  Pretty clever design really.  So yes it does both
coax and optical S/PDIF, and as far as I can tell it also does some
other digital protocoo besides S/PDIF if desired.

They are coming out with a new card to replace that particular model
(which is discontinued due to problems getting components), and the new
card is very similar but use the chip from the X-Fi from creative,
although with much higer quality components around it.  Not sure what
the state of X-Fi support in ALSA is at this time.

--
Len Sorensen