spam from my pc?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 22 15:26:41 UTC 2007

--- Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Chris Aitken wrote:
> > Somehow my computer (or registered domain) is
> being used to send emails.
> > The only way I know this is that a few go to
> emasil addresses that send
> > them back (I guess becuase the recipienmt is away
> or whatever). What can
> > I do? It's kinda freaky - I guess I'm responsible
> for what comes from my
> > computer/domain. My domain is shinypinemusic.com.
> So, I'm receiving
> > delivery failure notices to whomever from
> [anyoneatall]@shinypinemusic.com
> >
> > Chris
>
> This happened to some of the domains I manage....
> Just suddenly started
> getting *tons* of bounce messages (>1000/day) for
> about a week. I added
> an SPF record to my DNS zone file and the bounces
> mostly stopped. The
> ones that still came in all were from MS servers
> after that. :P
>
> http://www.openspf.org/
>
> So in short, it may not be coming from you. :)

Yes, similar story in my case, my domain, mcgregor.org
from time to time got hundreds of spam bounce messages
per day... SPF can help the situation but doesn't
solve it totally.

Bottom line, for a spammer to forge an e-mail address
is beyond trivial, and while you can slow them down on
that score you will never stop them...

My next issue (and it is a small one) in this area is
dealing with user education... I have mcgregor.org,
but there are other mcgregor domains. So I sometimes
get e-mail that were clearly intended for a fertilizer
company in Washington, a Baptist church in Florida,
and very occasionally a retirement home in Ohio
(mcgregoramasa.org). Does anyone have suggestions on
how to reply to such wrongly addressed e-mails that is
memorable, yet inoffensive...

Colin McGregor