ext3 corrupted

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 21 21:37:19 UTC 2007

Hi

I have a drive that got corrupted (just before it started to send SMART
alerts). I can't mount it and I get this error message:

EXT3-fs error (device sda12): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group
896 not in group (block 16777317)!

I can't mount it as ext2 either, and I can't mount sda either. auto as type
does not work either.

Running fsck and accepting all actions with a 'y' seems to have no effect. I
can't mount the disk and when I get to do fsck again I get the same actions.

dd works.

Do you know a way to get the data back?

Thanks a lot (!)

marc