A question for the Linux Cafe

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 20 02:43:47 UTC 2007

On 19/07/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'd go a step further and suggest that the Café might be the perfect
> location for a Freedom Toaster. This is a kiosk system designed to burn
> -- on demand -- any of a number of _current_ open source CDs, including
> Ubuntu (live and install, including variants), Fedora, Debian, Mandriva,
> SuSE, Gentoo and others. It also includes "FOSS for Windows" category
> that includes the Open CD. It also includes the Gutenberg Project CD.
I guess that makes us a Freedom Toaster, and we have everything listed
(except Project Gutenberg stuff) and we go one step that the kiosk
can't; we talk to people about what they want to do with the software,
and about their hardware, and help them find the right distro.

> There may not be enough space in the Café for a full-sized kiosk, but
> certainly the software can be run on most modern systems. It prevents
> the creation/shipping of CDs that are useless once obsolete, while
> staying away from the political/religious debates related to "what
> distro do you offer" by offering so many of them.
There insn't enough room at the caffe for another blender, never mind
a kiosk. but like I say, we maintain a roster of current distros, and
sometimes have them available with hours of release (way fast using
jigdo, for debian based installers) if $6. CD seems like too much to
some, others will gleefully take the day off, drive in from gods
country, and shake their heads at how cheap that is. We always have a
bin of free CDs, too, just not neccesarily the very latest.

> Just an idea. As an alternative, TLUG could build a fullsized Toaster
> and take it to relevant events.
I think it's a great idea for TLUG to build it's own toaster, you can
use my workshop.
djp

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
OR