A question for the Linux Cafe

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 19 15:30:25 UTC 2007

James Knott wrote:

> While I know you provide Linux CD's in your cafe, have you considered
> including the OpenCD, for those who are not quite ready to make the
> jump from Windows?  Once they start using those apps, it will be
> easier for them to convert to Linux, where they'll find many of these
> applications.
I'd go a step further and suggest that the Café might be the perfect
location for a Freedom Toaster. This is a kiosk system designed to burn
-- on demand -- any of a number of _current_ open source CDs, including
Ubuntu (live and install, including variants), Fedora, Debian, Mandriva,
SuSE, Gentoo and others. It also includes "FOSS for Windows" category
that includes the Open CD. It also includes the Gutenberg Project CD.

The Freedom Toaster project is funded by the Shuttleworth Foundation.
There are a number of public kiosks around, but right now all of them
are located in South Africa. http://www.freedomtoaster.org

There may not be enough space in the Café for a full-sized kiosk, but
certainly the software can be run on most modern systems. It prevents
the creation/shipping of CDs that are useless once obsolete, while
staying away from the political/religious debates related to "what
distro do you offer" by offering so many of them.

Just an idea. As an alternative, TLUG could build a fullsized Toaster
and take it to relevant events.

- Evan

- Evan