PC/104

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 18 15:45:41 UTC 2007

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> My boss (he is very good in hardware but learns Linux from me rather)
> directed me to PC/104.

What are you trying/wanting to do which made your boss suggest using a PC/104
based solution? You (and those of us on this list) need to understand the
problem before a possible solution can be found.

> Would it be difficult to assamble something with Linux running on it?

You don't need to assemble anything unless you are talking about designing and
building your own board. There are boards you can buy off the shelf which run
Linux. On the table beside me I have a PC/104 type board which has a 200 MHz
ARM processor on it. The board as supplied by the manufacturer came with Linux
installed. It even had telnet, ftp, and http daemons running on it.

> Is it worth to invest time to learning these things? How that is related
> to embedded Linux in cell phones? Is there a job market for that kind of
> computer art?

Again, it depends on what you want/need to do. If you have a board that runs
Linux, there isn't much you need to know other than doing program development
for Linux. If you are doing an embedded systems type app (as I am now), then
an understanding of electronics can come in handy when you deal with writing
code that interfaces to various types of harwdware on-board the CPU and/or
devices attached to the CPU.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.