PC/104

Christopher Friedt cfriedt-u6hQ6WWl8Q3d1t4wvoaeXtBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 18 15:44:20 UTC 2007

Check out www.embeddedarm.com ... the hardware is excellent and very
good for entry level embedded stuff.

I would say that the MPP board is not related at all to Linux running in
cell phones. The MPP board has a completely different market, and would
be programmed in assembler, or gcc-m68k if you feel daring. If you used
gcc-m68k you would have to compile everything statically - much like the
linux kernel. The MPP board is intended for educational purposes - that
is, instrumentation and data acuisition - mainly for electrical
engineering students.

However, it is possible to get uClinux to run on the MPP board from what
I hear through the grapevine. Forget any sort of filesystem, forget the
TCP/IP stack, forget a scheduler, etc. You have pinouts and a serial
port. It would be the  least sophisticated Linux port you've ever seen -
that's not saying that it wouldn't be damn cool to port it :) And the
hardware design for the MPP board was also excellent for it's purpose :)

Speaking as someone who's programmed for the MPP board, the embedded arm
devices above, and soon, the OpenMoko/Neo, I would suggest buying an
OpenMoko if you're interested in programming cell phones running linux.

~/Chris