dvd writer speed

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 18 15:27:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 06:59:12PM -0400, Martin Duclos wrote:
> I did update the firmware to the latest version. To me it looks like the
> firmware doesn't recognize the media. For some reason, it won't listen when
> I say write at a slower speed. Anyhow, I bought a LiteOn drive and
> installed it. DL DVD burn fine now and it does burn at the speed I tell it
> to (2.4X) even if it does suggest to write at 4X. Not the ideal solution.

Well I us a PX760 personally, which seems fine with everything.  Also
happens to be very easy to upgrade firmware on (and doesn't require
windows to do it).  Either use pxfw from linux (what I do) or burn a
special CD that you boot in the drive that then updates the firmware
(great for those with some totally weird OS with no support for firmware
updates).

The PX-Premium, the PX708, 716, and a number of other models can also be
updated with either pxfw or pxupdate.  The 740 surprisingly can not.
Sure they cost 2 or 3 times as much as an LG or liteon or pioneer, but
they also have more features, can be updated without using windows, and
tend to be quicker about adding support for new media types.  They also
last longer in my exprience, although I think drives are getting more
reliable these days.  I remember the HP and mitsumi CD burners that you
were lucky if they lastes 100 or 200 burns.

--
Len Sorensen