Apache2 and virtual hosts

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 18 14:29:12 UTC 2007

--- Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Martin Duclos wrote:
> > Hi,
> > How about a simple script to commit the chages, do the sanity
> check of
> > the config and load the new config. If apache returns an error,
> show the
> > error to the user and revert back to original configs. That would
> limit
> > the down time to a few seconds.
> > My 2 cents.
> > Martin
>
> That would work, but it would still cause server down time (short
> though
> it may be). If it's at all possible, I'd still like to have the
> server
> not crash but rather just refuse to load the offending VH
> container...
>
> Madi

Hi Madison,

What is the problem with apache2ctl -S (or apache2ctl configtest or
apache2 -t) to test the syntax. I have never come across syntax error
that was not detected by apache2ctl which caused apache2 to fail. I
would very much like to see one.

On the other hand I don't see the over head of such a simple line of
codes

     if [ {`netstat -l | grep www | cut -c 1`}={} ]
     then
           rm $link2errorconf
           apache2ctl start
     fi

in a script to handle those unlikely errors that apache2ctl -S does
not detect.

EK