Apache2 and virtual hosts

Martin Duclos tchitow-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 17 23:05:50 UTC 2007

Hi,
How about a simple script to commit the chages, do the sanity check of the
config and load the new config. If apache returns an error, show the error
to the user and revert back to original configs. That would limit the down
time to a few seconds.
My 2 cents.
Martin

Hi all,

   I'm using Debian and Apache2, which uses individual files for virtual
hosts. Currently, if any one of the VH containers are misconfigured, Apache2
as a whole won't come back up on restart or will fail on reload.

   I am writing a management console for our customers who host with us, and
I would like to allow them to edit their own VH container file. I worry
though that a user will make a mistake and take the whole web server down.

   Is there a way anyone knows up that I can tell Apache to disregard a
misconfigured VH container (possibly send an alert) and continue loading the
rest of the virtual hosts?

   Thanks!

Madi

Tell us your tech love story in the Summer Lovin Competition for your chance
to win laptop loaded with Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Windows Live
OneCare.
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/contests/summerlovin/default.aspx