Apache2 and virtual hosts

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 17 20:38:04 UTC 2007

I usually just use

  /usr/sbin/httpd -f $fullyPathedHttpdConf -t

to test that the httpd.conf configuration is OK, rather than using
apachectl or any of the other other tools. Simple, works for me. And
if everything checks out, then I use

  /usr/sbin/httpd -f $fullyPathedHttpdConf -k start

to fire up the web server, and

  netstat -at | grep LISTEN

to make sure that httpd is listening on the port that I expect.
Finally, I use openssl from another machine (inside and outside the
firewall) to make sure the web server is answering in HTTPS ..

  openssl s_client -connect $host:$port

is a good test for that.

--
Alex Beamish