Apache2 and virtual hosts

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 17 17:50:06 UTC 2007

E K wrote:
> You can delete the soft link in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled which is a
> link to the actual configuration file in /etc/apache2/sites-available
> if there is a problem with a configuration which you can check using
> apache2ctl -S. You can restore the link on the next edit after making
> sure that the configuration is alright.
>
> Apache loads the sites in the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled directory.
>
> That is how I do it on Ubuntu.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> EK

This would work, true. Though it relies on apache2ctl being correct,
which as John V.O. mentioned, isn't always the case. If there were an
undetected error I could recover from the crash by deleting the symlink
to the offending VH container file and restarting as you suggest, but
that still means that Apache2 would go down for X amount of time
(however short that may be).

This is what I want to avoid, and why I keep coming back to trying to
find a way to tell apache2 not to fail all on one bad config. :)

Sorry for the stubbornness! :P

Madi