dvd writer speed

Martin Duclos tchitow-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 17 15:52:38 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:48:41PM -0400, Martin Duclos wrote:
 > I recently replaced a dvd writer. The new one is an LG H22L from which I
am
 > trying to burn dual layer dvd. The problem is the drive won't recognize
the
 > proper burn speed of the media. The media is 2.4X and when I try to burn
 > with k3b it select 4X. I've tried from cdrecord and it still selects 4X.
 > tried the to set -speed=1 to force a slower speed and I also tried
-speed=0
 > which is supposed to use the slowest speed of the drive but it still
 > insists on burning at 4X. I updated the firmware of the drive with the
same
 > results. I also had a look at /etc/cdrecord.conf to set CDR_SPEED=1. So
the
 > question is, is it possible to force the drive to operate at a speed of
1X?
 > I was thinking perhaps if I use hdparm to set the drive transfer mode to
 > something slower it might do what I expect but I'd rather have another
way
 > around it.

Does it burn broken discs if you leave it at 4x?  After all many drive
makers tests various media and set the speed in the drive's firmware
based on what their tests indicate.  So you might get 12 or 16x
recording on media originally labeled 8x capable, because a drive maker
foudn that their drive had no problems doing faster burns on that media.
Most 18x or 20x drives have a selection of 16x media that they know
supports the higher speed too.

--
Len Sorensen

I suppose I never mentionned why I wanted to burn at slower speed. What's
been happening is on dual layer dvd, when burned at 4X will reliably create
a coaster every single time. I tried a few disks because at first I though I
ran into a bad one. After 3 tries I started thinking I had a problem. I had
an older drive that would burn the dl dvd fine but i replaced it with a
lightscribe capable drive. I since dropped that older dvd drive on the floor
and it doesn't work anymore.