Activism, resources

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 17 03:20:42 UTC 2007

--- Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Could you clarify what you might mean by "social
> activism?" Linux,
> > with the GPL software in general, tends to float
> towards a concept of
> > "Free, shared thinking"
>
> Hm. Well, I'm thinking more of direction social
> action, but I don't
> wanna drag this too off topic (I probably should
> have put OT in the
> subject line).
>
> Using what we have in the free/oss/omgwtfbbq world
> as the tool kit, give
> organizations, fringe or otherwise, the ability to
> plan and communicate
> safely and effectively. How to perform assorted
> network and RF
> reconnaissance, reverse engineering and penetration
> stuff. Educate 'em
> in how to use & pass the knowledge & skills on.

Well, two non-profit groups that use Linux already are
the Toronto Free-Net and Wireless Toronto. Both groups
have people who are GTALug and/or Unix Unanimous
regulars so I am not sure what more from the GTALug
side can be done for these folks...

Not sure what to suggest regarding other groups...

Colin McGregor