PC/104

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 16 22:00:25 UTC 2007

--- Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anybody around has some experience with these
> toys?

Not directly, just what I have read in the technical
press.

> I once noticed this link in email of one of active
> participants of this list
> (I remember very well of whom, I am sorry not to
> remember the name):
>
> http://www.syscompdesign.com/mppkit.htm

That would be Peter Hiscocks.

> But thats not quite what i am looking for.
>
> My boss (he is very good in hardware but learns
> Linux from me rather)
> directed me to PC/104.

Basicly you are just talking a very small form factor
PC aimed at industrial control / data logging type
situations. If a "normal" PC could do the processing,
but size is an issue then the PC/104 stuff can make
sense.

> I had some reading on the subject. But I do not
> still quite know how to
> approach it.
>
> Would it be difficult to assamble something with
> Linux running on it?

Should be fairly straight forward, Just get a PC/104
card (or cards) with CPU. memory, IO, etc. attach some
storage (flash and/or hard drive) and go from there.

> This seems to be a big industry, perhaps well
> standardized (
> http://www.pc104.org).
>
> Is it worth to invest time to learning these things?
> How that is related to
> embedded Linux in cell phones? Is there a job market
> for that kind of
> computer art?

Not related to cell phones (at least not directly,
like any PC there could be usefull roles for these PCs
in monitoring cell phone POPs, etc...),