Microsoft and linux in China

zuoheng zh.huang-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 16 04:33:55 UTC 2007

> The grad students I taught understood 'democracy' to be complete freedom
> to do anything - they had no concept of the resposibilities of citizens
> under a democracy. The library was full of copied IEEE periodicals and the
> university mainframe ran a pirated version of AT&T Unix. Some of the
> concepts that we take for granted - privacy of the individual, and
> intellectual property - simply do not exist in China.

I totally agree with you. Generally, people in China, whoever a university
student, or a factory owner, don't respect any RULES, which may be law or
some moral goodness (sorry for my English, I try to express some rules from
religion or tradition to be gentle or good hearted. ).  Around 30 years
"reform and open", the only rule people were taught is "making  money by any
means". Though it is changing these years after many many families going
into a so-called middle-class life. The culture is being re-builded slowly.

As to "democracy", there is never a clear definition for it. We all know
France Revolution was a bleeding story about freedom and democracy. Almost
at the same time, U.S. build his own democracy system based on collaboration
between states and improved it in the next 100 years.  There is no such a
line simply splitting good and bad. To respect minors, to respect
difference,  it need time to learn.

/zuoheng