dvd writer speed

Martin Duclos tchitow-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 15 21:48:41 UTC 2007

Hey,
I recently replaced a dvd writer. The new one is an LG H22L from which I am
trying to burn dual layer dvd. The problem is the drive won't recognize the
proper burn speed of the media. The media is 2.4X and when I try to burn
with k3b it select 4X. I've tried from cdrecord and it still selects 4X. I
tried the to set -speed=1 to force a slower speed and I also tried -speed=0
which is supposed to use the slowest speed of the drive but it still insists
on burning at 4X. I updated the firmware of the drive with the same results.
I also had a look at /etc/cdrecord.conf to set CDR_SPEED=1. So the question
is, is it possible to force the drive to operate at a speed of 1X? I was
thinking perhaps if I use hdparm to set the drive transfer mode to something
slower it might do what I expect but I'd rather have another way around it.
Martin