Online cross-network backup services?

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 12 21:42:54 UTC 2007

S3 is pretty useful.  I'm in the process of building myself a backup
system at home and I intend to use S3 as my off-site emergency backup
(I will obviously be encrypting what I send to S3--I don't trust
Amazon not to read my bits).  There are a number of scripts available,
and there's even a few file browsers (the one I can think of is called
something like jets3t, which is written in Java).  Also, if none of
the scripts work for you, the API is quite thoroughly documented so it
should be fairly easy to implement whatever you need.

The killer app for S3 seems to be to use it in conjunction with their
EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud).  The idea being that you store virtual
machine images on S3 and boot them on EC2 (data transfer between S3
and EC2 is free because they're both in Amazon's network).  Running a
VM on EC2 only costs per compute-hour (forget the price, but it is in
line with the S3 charges) and you can start as many or as few VMs as
you need.  The one caveat for the principled anti-software patent
crowd is that Amazon has patented (or maybe that should read "are
patenting") S3.  Seems a bit ridiculous to me (the patenting, I
mean--not the principles).

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com