unable to mount a partition a second time

sy1234 sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 11 23:47:00 UTC 2007

Sy Ali said the following on 06/28/2007 07:28 PM:
> There seems to be some default mount setting which makes it impossible
> for me to mount a partition a second time .. when that partition was
> already auto-mounted because of a setting in fstab.
>
> But checking fstab shows it as using default settings.
>
> On first boot, I cannot simply mount that partition a second time.
>
> But if I unmount it and then mount it once, and then twice.. it works!
>
> Does anyone know what's going on here?

Sortof self-solved.

Well, apparently I had to specify the filesystem when using mount.

Even though cfdisk correctly reported ext3 as the filesystem for the
partitions involved, I had to mount -t ext2 some of the partitions.

BUT, other partitions would themselves decide to puke when mounted as
ext2 so those had to instead be mounted as ext3.  Unsettling.

I would appreciate sagely advice as to what's going on here.. this is odd.