input output error

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 11 18:31:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 13:37 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Sounds like either a disk failure, or an enclosure failure, or even a
> USB cable failure.  Certainly worth trying to disk without the USB
> enclosure to see if you can read your data that way (A new enclosure is
> rather cheap if that is what broke, and a cable even cheaper).

It could also be as simple as the disk is not /dev/sda. I've seen cases
where unplugging and replugging gets /dev/sdb.

Check the output of the 'dmesg' command for references to your device.
Try unplugging the device, run dmesg again to see the result, plug it
back in and check dmesg again. this will allow you to see the sequence
of events more clearly. Then try and mount the device you see being
added and run dmesg again.

--
Register for the Ontario Linux Fest Conference today!
A Linux conference for users by users. http://onlinux.ca