Suggestions needed; mail server suggestions

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 11 18:30:35 UTC 2007

|    So I want to move to a SQL-based mail server. I want to let users use
| their email address as their POP3 username, for simplicity.

I faced the same question a couple years back, and I decided on
- postfix
- postfixadmin (i.e. domain owners manage their own emails)
- mysql backend
- courier imap for POP3 and IMAP
- pop-before-smtp
- mail stored in Maildir
- amavisd fronting spamassassin and clamav

I've since added postgrey for greylisting. and mailman for mailing lists.

I was always a sendmail kind-of-guy, but I couldn't find a user-management
front end at the time that suited me.  I looked at qmail, but decided it
wasn't for me.

The postfix configuration still seems to confuse me a bit - the recipes
on the net seem to be "do it this way" with various ritual sacrifices,
rather than "here's how it works".  Of course, I'm too cheap (or too
stupid) to have bought the Postfix book, so it's my own fault if I'm
a bit confused.

Works well for me, I'm happy - not really high volume, about 140
domains currently, and mailgraph tells me:
- sent average 3 msgs/min, peak 135 msgs/min
- received average 6 msgs/min, peak 117 msgs/min
- rejected/spam/virus/bounced average 19.5 msgs/min, peak 350 msgs/min
or about 40K msgs/day, or about 600K/month.

I happen to be doing this on FreeBSD, though that shouldn't make
much difference.

Hope that helps - cheers!

John

--
John Sellens
SYONEX - Systems, Operations, Networks, Expertise