[OT]: Novell's Intentions (Was: Misc. bits.)

Rick T torontonui-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 11 18:03:23 UTC 2007

Novell has a long history of doing bizarre things with its technology and to its own Channel Partners and customers. Novell is a public company thus making it open to manipulation by persons for their own personal gain with little regard how it affects users of its products. Simply learn 'what' they are and use them in your technology mix and/or business accordingly.

RickT
http://www.TorontoNUI.ca

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote: On 7/10/07, Scott Elcomb
 wrote:
> Is it just me, or does Novell look like it's trying to play both sides
> of the fence?
>
> On 7/10/07, Colin McGregor  wrote:
> > The fact that the SAMBA people have decided to convert
> > to GPL 3 is in my books a great thing. This will make
> > life rough for Novell and/or Microsoft, as either
> > Novell has to either fork a piece of software that is
> > key to their Microsoft compatibility efforts or they
> > have to drag Microsoft kicking and screaming (which
> > they have already started doing) into GPL 3.
>
> I'd like to think that Novell has been acting, secretly, like a
> double-agent for FOSS.  Whether that's true or not probably depends on
> which way the wind is blowing.

I don't know what side they're on.

Actually, I do; they're on their own side.  Or their investors'.  Or
management's side.  Or some combination thereof.

I'm quite sure they're not on "our" side, for a pretty liberal set of
possible interpretations of what "our" might mean...

"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)