ntp help

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 11 18:05:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 01:49:56PM -0400, Neil Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 01:41:58PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >I think .INIT. means it hasn't run long enough to get a feel for the
> >time from that server.  Or perhaps it isn't even able to talk to that
> >server.  Firewall issues perhaps?
>
> The firewall should be OK.  The command ntpdate was successful.
>
> >What does your config look like?
>
> #########################
> Client:
> #########################
> restrict default ignore
>
> restrict 127.0.0.1
>

> server torunxntp01.example.com
> server torunxntp02.example.com
> server torunxntp03.example.com
>
> server  127.127.1.0 # local clock
> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
> broadcastdelay  0.008
>
> keys        /etc/ntp/keys
>
> #########################
> Server:
> #########################
> trict default nomodify notrap noquery
>
> restrict 127.0.0.1
>
> server time.nrc.ca
> server chime.utoronto.ca
> server time.chu.nrc.ca
> server tock.utoronto.ca
> server tick.utoronto.ca
> server 206.186.255.223
> server 206.186.255.228
>
> server  127.127.1.0 # local clock
> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
> broadcastdelay  0.008
>
> keys        /etc/ntp/keys

So what does the ntp status you did before look like on the server and
on the client?  Certainly if the server hasn't locked to an external
server yet, then it will have a worse stratum than the client itself and
the client will use its own time instead.

I have no idea what the keys thing does in ntp.

--
Len Sorensen