input output error

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 11 13:52:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

to rule out computer/Linux problem, have you tried
plugging the drive to another computer, like a Mac or
Windows?

Fernando

--- hui xu <louiehui_xu-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I tried
>
>  fdisk -l /dev/sda, I got blank output
>
> with
>
>   file -s /dev/sda /dev/sda, I got
>
> /dev/sda:  file: read failed (Input/output error)
>
> with
>
>  /sbin/pvdisplay /dev/sda , I got
>
> ERROR "pv_read(): read" no VAILD physical volum
> "/dev/sda"
>

> Doese these means my disk is broken so I have to buy
> new one?
>
> Thansk!
> LOuie
>

> --- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 11:57:55PM -0400, hui xu
> > wrote:
> > > Could anybody tell me how to recover the data
> from
> > my
> > > harddisk? My problem is:
> > >
> > > I have stored all my photoes and software in an
> > > harddisk connected by USB to my linux box. I
> have
> > not
> > > used it for half year. recently I try to mount (
> > mount
> > > -a /dev/sda /bigfoot) it to my linux box to get
> > the
> > > data, I got the errors "/dev/sda: Input/output
> > error
> > > mount: you must specify the filesystem type"
> >
> > What is the output of these:
> >
> > fdisk -l /dev/sda
> > file -s /dev/sda /dev/sda1
> >
> > --
> > Len Sorensen
> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> > http://gtalug.org/
> > TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> > below 80 columns

> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> http://gtalug.org/
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> below 80 columns

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca