input output error

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 10 21:09:34 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, hui xu <louiehui_xu-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Could anybody tell me how to recover the data from my
> harddisk? My problem is:
>
> I have stored all my photoes and software in an
> harddisk connected by USB to my linux box. I have not
> used it for half year. recently I try to mount ( mount
> -a /dev/sda /bigfoot) it to my linux box to get the
> data, I got the errors "/dev/sda: Input/output error
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

A great deal of sound advice has been put forward, but another
possibility that hasn't been suggested yet is that there's an issue
with the USB enclosure - I've had this problem.  Try the suggestions
already mentioned, but if that fails open the external casing and put
the HD directly into your computer as a standard (S)ATA HD.  The HD
itself is probably fine, the failure is likely either (as mentioned)
incorrect use of the mount command, or a physical failure of the
enclosure.  Even if the enclosure is fine, installing the HD interally
bypasses misconfigurations of your Linux USB or SCSI drivers.

Good luck.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/