input output error

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 10 04:42:09 UTC 2007

hui xu left a post-it on the fridge:

> Hi JoeHill,
>
> My comuputer contains windows XP and readhat 7.3, So
> the harddisk may accidentally connect to windows xp
> when I use windows ops. I have tried -t command, but
> it still doesn't work. The following is the error
> message:
>
> ___________________________________________________-
>   mount -t vfat  /dev/sda /bigfeet
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/sda, or too many mounted file systems
>

> mount -t ext3  /dev/sda /bigfeet
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/sda, or too many mounted file systems

Is there more than one partition on the drive? This is an error I've seen when
there is a Linux and a Win partition on the drive. I've just been playing
around with my own USB drive, and it has a VFAT, NTFS, and an EXT3.

If there is more than one partition, check in /etc/mtab to see what devices
the partitions correspond to, ie. /dev/sda1, etc.

Also, if you check google.ca/linux with that error, this seems to be very
common...again, I know, because that's where I originally learned what little I
know about settting up my own drive... ;-)

--
JoeHill