Suggestions needed; mail server suggestions

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 9 16:51:40 UTC 2007

Disk I/O's per second on mail servers can be huge if you have a lot of
accounts.

One smart thing to do is to have the pop3 grab/staging area and the
sendmail incoming staging area (are you doing spam/virus detect),
as a RAM disk.
I set up a sendmail once with a 300MB ram staging area for pop3'ing and
it had a huge impact.

also you might want to put a anti-spam device in front of your smtp/pop3
system , as spam can account 20-80% of email size, but given spam is
usually small, it can account for >50%-95% of your disk I/O's

I know in a ISP i run, I can see 100's of emails per second arrive,
and I know my disk system (would like to be) doing many 100's of I/O
second, as I didn't have a netapp or 14 drive 15Krpm raid disk system,
this was an issue.

One fast drive that had 4ms average seek ... thats only 250 head moves
per second, and a big email system , unless you do some magic,
like RAM drives, etc, is going to fall apart quick.

I guess the bottom line is, know matter what email system you use,
if you have hundreds of emails per second, and eventually all
have to make it to disk, there is huge disk I/O's, relatively small disk
throughput, but huge I/O's

In my case a barracuda in front of the smtp/pop3 saved the day,
just on shear spam kill alone.

-tl