Electronic badges

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 9 16:09:46 UTC 2007

--- Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 9-Jul-07, at 8:42 AM, Colin McGregor wrote:
>
> > --- Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> The company I work for is visible assets. We make
> >> unique RFID tag
> >> which is active and can store information on the
> >> card.It is unique in
> >> that it operates at 132KHz.
> >>
> >> I may be able to get a few hundred tags, and a
> >> reader or two for the
> >> show. I will provide how instructions on how the
> >> card/reader works if
> >> anyone is interested.
> >>
> >> Complete disclosure here... my aim would be to
> >> expose this technology
> >> to some innovative people for a new application.
> >> FWIW we already have
> >> most of what you need working.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> > Okay, I may be missing something here (or I may
> not be
> > imaginative enough...), but I'm not sure where/how
> > this technology, that while interesting helps
> GTALug.
> >
> I'm probably to blame here for not following the
> thread closely enough.
>
> There is a display on some of the tags, however it
> is pretty limited.
>
> The tags can be used to read the name of a person on
> a computer when
> they come up to the booth. You can store approx 256
> nibbles inside
> the tag.

I'm still not seeing a fit with GTALug. But I do see a
potential fit for events like the Ontario LinuxFest as
a whole.

Large trade shows (and even some not so large shows)
issue the attendees a paper name badge with a bar code
on them. Ask for more information at a vendor booth
and they will pull out a battery powered hand held bar
code reader and scan the bar code. Then end of the
show, those scans are matched up with the registration
database.

I could see your firm's tags in the above sort of
role. The concerns I would see are:

- Getting enough tags so that every attendee has one.
- Getting enough readers so that every "vendor" has
one.
- Co-ordinating tag numbers with registration data
(i.e.: tag 1234 = <<Sue Jones,sjones-omLZJFyqO6s4Q++5jOxPmw at public.gmane.org>>)

If you can see solutions to the above, I would
strongly suggest you get in touch with the Ontario
LinuxFest people and see what can be worked out.

Further I could, depending on how Linux friendly your
firm's products are I could see doing a magazine
article that mentions the above.

Again, depending on how Linux friendly your firm's
products are I could see these badges as the basis for
a good GTALug presentation.

Hopefully someone else on the list can come up with
additional ideas.

> If this is of not what you had in mind, then please
> ignore. However
> I'd still make the offer to anyone who does have an
> application more
> suited to this.

Basically I see the badges as an extra advertising
media, a role your firm's badges were not really
designed to fill. Still as noted there is some room
for doing interesting things with those badges...

www.instructables.com/id/E5H5UDWB5UEUKIKV8V/?ALLSTEPS

> about
> >> $10
> one