root access required when installing linux programs on web hosting servers

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 9 01:13:35 UTC 2007

> When your on a web hosting service(choose any), you do not get the root
> password to the system.
> A large majority of linux programs(choose any) require root access when
> installing them. (some do not require root access)
>
> What are some workarounds for this common problem?

I have worked on UNIX systems (as a client) since the 1980s when I had access
as a university student, and I have never heard of any "fix" for this, and do
not anticipate one in the offing. UNIXes have a rigid security policy,
requiring, in problems like these, to ask the permission of the system operator
if they could install your desired software and fix permissions accordingly so
you can use it. If they say "no", you're out of luck.

If this were possible I would love to install a web-based mail server on my
website, which generates email accounts for people, but all the ones I know of
require root access at *some* part of the installation.

There are some software that, however, expects to install itself in a specific
location so it knows where the libraries are in relation to itself. It would
install itself someplace where you have no write permission, such as /bin,
/usr/bin, and so on (really anything outside of your home directory and /tmp is
generally off-limits). When this happened to me in installing Elvis (I think
the BSD's vi that is on the system is too feature-poor), I found that it meant
that I had to scour the source code and installation scripts to make sure that
everything installed in my home directories. I gave up, thinking that I can
live with BSD's vi, and installing Elvis was more trouble than it was worth.

The best thing I can tell you, if you are prepared to do a lot of work, and if
you also have a generous allocation of disk space in your account, is to
download the source, examine the Makefile to change the installation path,
library paths (use absolute paths and not relative ones), and paths to
installed libs. I think you are probably going to have to make related changes
in the source code itself.

Paul King