OT: any etymologists out there?

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 8 00:00:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I address this to those of you whose interests may also include things
other than Linux and FOSS. :-) I'd actually just like to know if there
are any real smarty-pants' out there!

I'm mystified. I have spotted an insect in my home on several
occasions (different ones, same species), and I'm having a heck of a
time identifying it. My visits to Google have yielded no love.

The other day I spotted one taking its leisure on the wall of my
basement bathroom. Able to resist the horror long enough to get my
camera, I snapped this pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronvegh/718854436/

This is a baby. While the one pictured here has a body approximately
1.5 inches long, I've seen them as large as 3-4 inches (not including
the -- many, many! -- legs).

Does anyone know what this is? Or falling short of that, know of a
resource that might help me identify it?

The next step would be to find a means of targeting them with some
kind of insidious counter-measure; they're the nastiest things I've
ever seen (outside that horrid scene from King Kong). Freaky-fast,
too.

Thanks!
Aaron.