optical out sound card for linux?

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 7 13:44:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 09:25 -0400, Mike Kallies wrote:
> On 7/7/07, tleslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I just upgraded my Sennheiser HD570 to the new HD650 their best head
> > phones.
> >
> > Now plugged into my SB live sound card,
> > the high energy song mixed with huge bass cause the
> > headphones to make that bass sound like someone
> > hitting a shoe box with a hammer, its bad.
> >
> > I read that with highest end head phones, they are
> > "extremely high impedance headphones"
> > and they can suck large with cheap
> > sound amps, and I am guessing a sound blaster
> > card is just that.
>
> Can you burn a CD and test the theory on a reasonable stereo
> beforehand?  I'm curious if it's just the soundblaster (and PC sound
> hardware in general) which sucks, or if the headphones really draw a
> lot of juice.
I did, i put a CD in my PS3 and optically to my pioneer
7.1 system for home audi, and it did sound a bit better,
but I didnt haev the same bass disruptive soungs on CD to
try, so I will do that. Irregardless, i think i have to get the
amp, and thus still have to figure out this optical in/out on a
card that will work with linux.

> Maybe you just need to solder a 0.33F capacitor to the card :-)
>
> I bought $50 Sennhiser HD202 headphones a while back to block
> background noise without any of the weirdness of noise canceling
> headphones.  I run it off my Soundblaster, they're certainly not high
> end headphones, but they're very clear.  The only problem I've had is
> that it tends to sound punchy on the bass (supposedly because they're
> closed-cell), and now I can hear all the clicking and crunching in bad
> audio recordings and bad MP3s.
>
> Is your collection all in FLAC or something?

320 cbr mp3

i have been thinking can it be anything else? but there is so many
google hits
with HD650 (or HD60) and head phone amps and so many people swearing by
having to have them.

And also the songs in question sound fine on my HD570's which are not as
high imped. So it does seem to point to the sound card failing on
generating the energy to drive them.

-tl