little boxes [was: DECtop]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 7 08:16:31 UTC 2007

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| On 6/25/07, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| > They probably take more power than non-x86 little boxes.
|
| In this case, it *is* an x86; it's an "AMD Geode," which is a low
| power IA-32 chip.
| According to this site: <http://www.docunext.com/> it chews only 9 watts.

I presumed that x86 baggage takes some power to drag around.
Apparently the Geode carries it well.

| The Docunext site sems interesting; it compares the DECtop with NSLU2 etc...

It points out that the ethernet is connected by USB 1.1.  Yuck!!

| - Embedded PPC, where I've not seen any potentially cheap ways to buy
| small quantities

Kurobox?  References to it seem to be getting stale.
  http://www.kurobox.com/revolution/what.html
Apparently is is an otherwise-obsolete Buffalo Corp. box.