Web Hosting problem

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 7 03:47:57 UTC 2007

Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 08:51:45PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote
>
>> May I ask; the webserver in question is at 192.139.81.119. I know
>> 192.168.0.0/16 is reserved, but where does the 99.0.0.0/8 network come
>> into play? I may well be guilty of missing the obvious here. :)
>
>   Let's assume that you owned a Pizza joint a few years ago that only
> did business in Toronto.  So you only accepted phone calls with caller
> ID in the 416 area code.  Then a bunch of calls from area code 647
> showed up, but you blocked them, because your list of valid Toronto area
> codes was out-of-date.  People who got new phone numbers with an area
> code 647 couldn't get past your caller-ID block.  Same thing here.
>
>   Until recently, 99.0.0.0/8 was unused; it was flagged as "IANA
> reserved", and any traffic coming from that block was definitely bogus.
> On that basis, a lot of network admins blocked traffic from 99.0.0.0/8.
> It was assigned to ARIN last October, and ARIN has sub-assigned some of
> that space to Rogers recently.  But some admins haven't updated their
> lists of valid/invalid IP address blocks, and continue to block
> 99.0.0.0/8
>
>   Rogers DHCP server hands out addresses to customers.  If a Rogers
> customer gets assigned a 99.*.*.* address, they may be wrongly blocked
> by one of these out-of-date "invalid address blocklists".  It's the
> carrier's fault for still blocking what is now a valid IP address.

Aye, put two and two together today talking to my upstream provider.
I've been running tcpdump most of the day today and will check the logs
tomorrow. My immediate upstream provider isn't blocking it, though.
Monday (when they're back in), I'll look over the logs and see if/how
often I am being queried from the 99.0.0.0/8 range.

Thanks kindly for the info! With luck this may be the issue.

Madi