Web Hosting problem

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 7 03:37:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 08:51:45PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote

> May I ask; the webserver in question is at 192.139.81.119. I know
> 192.168.0.0/16 is reserved, but where does the 99.0.0.0/8 network come
> into play? I may well be guilty of missing the obvious here. :)

  Let's assume that you owned a Pizza joint a few years ago that only
did business in Toronto.  So you only accepted phone calls with caller
ID in the 416 area code.  Then a bunch of calls from area code 647
showed up, but you blocked them, because your list of valid Toronto area
codes was out-of-date.  People who got new phone numbers with an area
code 647 couldn't get past your caller-ID block.  Same thing here.

  Until recently, 99.0.0.0/8 was unused; it was flagged as "IANA
reserved", and any traffic coming from that block was definitely bogus.
On that basis, a lot of network admins blocked traffic from 99.0.0.0/8.
It was assigned to ARIN last October, and ARIN has sub-assigned some of
that space to Rogers recently.  But some admins haven't updated their
lists of valid/invalid IP address blocks, and continue to block
99.0.0.0/8

  Rogers DHCP server hands out addresses to customers.  If a Rogers
customer gets assigned a 99.*.*.* address, they may be wrongly blocked
by one of these out-of-date "invalid address blocklists".  It's the
carrier's fault for still blocking what is now a valid IP address.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?