RMS Talk at University of Toronto Mississauga

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 6 18:48:18 UTC 2007

> Part of the problem lies in the ambiguity that lies in "What does
> Linux mean?  Kernel?  Or distribution?"

Excellent point.

> If the FSF had chosen to create or ally with some distribution (and
> Debian sometimes appears to be apropos), there would be no argument in
> them calling the result "GNU/Linux."  What we hear sounds way more
> like sour grapes.

I think Linus Torvalds has made the same point.

But the GNU programs are used in all the distributions, not limited to one
specific distribution. It's fair to say that the GNU stuff made it
possible for Linux to supplant Unix in very short order - regardless of
the distribution.

There are lots of these 'accidents of history' where an originators name
gets missed in giving credit for some technical advance. Frequently the
true originator is (conveniently) deceased, but RMS is still here and very
willing to argue the point.

Peter
--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto